On Wednesday, 27 May 2020, the HSSC hosted an online session on Disinformation as a Security Risk with Dr. Nad’a Kovalcikova. Dr. Kovalcikova is a program manager at the Alliance for Securing Democracy in GMF (The German Marshall Fund of the United States) in Brussels. She is an expert in analyzing information operations and efforts to counter disinformation and threats to democracy.
- Information Operations: coordinated use of social or traditional media to achieve a strategic objective, including the insertion or amplification of false, misleading, or divisive narratives to manipulate public debate
- Cyber Attacks: the probing and penetration of computer networks to cripple critical infrastructure
- Political and Social Subversion: the backing of politicians and groups, often at the extremes of the political spectrum inside another country through financial, covert, or subversive means
- Strategic Economic Coercion: the exploitation of national resources and commercial activity as leverage over another country’s government to weaken it and force a change in policy
- Malign Finance: the facilitation of financial activity involving illicit proceeds or in furtherance of other illicit ends
- Authoritarian Interference Tracker: This tool exposes foreign interference activities in over 40transatlantic countries.
- Hamilton 2.0 dashboard: This tool is useful for monitoring narratives and topics promoted byRussia, China and Iran’s government official accounts or state-backed media outlets acrossdifferent social media platforms.
the students participating in the session.